TDM CCN Header

Monday, July 8, 2013

Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns



Pumpkins were never my favorite vegetable when growing up. My mum made curry out of it and I didn't like the sweet gravy it produced.  But  after becoming a mum myself ,I wanted to get over my hate towards pumpkins and discovered that they weren't so bad , especially when turned into sweet dishes.  I discovered this recipe in a Taste of Home  magazine, and it was divine!!.
   I  rarely make sweet dishes, and when I do it has to be something really worth the effort and time!.  This is one such  time worthy recipe. I have changed the recipe a little because I used  the type of yeast which needs to wake up before being  added to the flour.  

Recipe : Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns, recipe adapted from Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from Taste of Home magazine.

3 1/4 cups , plain flour
about 1 1/2 tsp active dried yeast
1 cup cooked pumpkin puree ( that's about half a small butternut squash, just peel and boil or steam and puree)
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg beaten

1/2 cup brown sugar
2tbsp butter melted
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Frosting:
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
1/4 cup icing sugar ( sifted)

1. Warm milk in your microwave ( or stove top). If in microwave for 1 minute at Low setting.  It should be slightly warm.  Cool just a little , mix in sugar and sprinkle yeast on top. Cover and leave for 10 minutes to froth.

2. Meanwhile melt butter in a small saucepan. Switch off and mix in pumpkin puree . Set a side.

3. Sift 3 cups of flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center. Pour the yeast mixture, pumpkin and butter mixture , milk and the egg into the well and start mixing in with your finger tips. If you need  more flour add the remaining 1/4 cup. 

4. Flour your work surface  lightly and dump the dough on top and knead as much as you can , about 10 minutes.  After consulting with my sister , who makes delicious breads and sweet dishes,  I discovered  that   the more you knead , the fluffier and softer it gets, right? Bakers  who read this please confirm this for me :).

5. Place your dough in an oiled bowl , cover with cling film and then a clean towel and leave to double in size. For me it took 3 hours. I think it depends on how fresh the yeast is.

6. Mix cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl and set side.

7. Punch the doubled up dough and place over a floured surface. Roll into a large rectangular  shape, about 1 cm thickness.

8. Brush the butter  all over the surface of the dough and sprinkle the sugar cinnamon mix. Roll up   into a sausage shape, like you do for swiss rolls. 

Cut into 1 inch thick slices and arrange in a large baking tray , leave some space in between each so they will expand. Cover with cling film and towel again and leave to rise and double , about 1 hour .

9. Pop in a preheated  oven,    Gas mark 4,  about 180 degree celsius    till golden.  Remove from tray and cool.

8. While its cooling prepare frosting, melt butter , stir in brown sugar , along with milk and vanilla essence and  tiny pinch of salt.Cook over a low heat.  Sift in icing sugar and  whisk till sugar dissolves and you get a lovely silky texture.  Drizzle over the top of the cooled cinnamon buns and enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Nammi dont kill me like this, those buns are seriously tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a pumpkin lover Nammi! Especially baked in sweet things - that is the best! How delicious these must be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nammi,

    Strangely, pumpkin is never a vegetable to me. Its natural sweetness makes me feel that it is never a vegetable...

    Pumpkin in cinnamon buns! Sounds wonderful to me.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....