I love Curtis Stone, and was excited to see the blog event at Zoe's Cook like A Star series that they were all cooking Curtis Stone recipes. This is my first time taking part in such an event so am very excited about it.
I have made chicken cacciatore before but this one was more delicious as it used fresh ripe tomatoes which melts into a delicious sauce once cooked. Here in Maldives chicken is sold frozen , its either curry cuts or drumstick or whole chicken. So I used chicken cut pieces instead of chicken thighs although I have to say chicken thigh is my favourite part of the chicken.
Recipe : Chicken Cacciatore recipe adapted from Curtis Stone's Chicken Cacciatore
2 tbsp olive oil
500g chicken pieces , skinned
1/4 tsp pepper
6 button mushrooms
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 a medium onion
4 garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
5 medium very ripe tomatoes ( I bought mine from Seagull foods), finely chopped
1 chicken stock cube
1 cup hot water
6 black olives, pitted and finely chopped
a few basil leaves
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1. Heat oil in a deep frying pan or casserole pot. Season chicken pieces with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Fry the chicken pieces in olive oil till golden . Remove to a bowl.
2. Add mushrooms , and saute' for 2 minutes till they go soft. Then add onion, bell pepper, and saute for a few minutes till they soften.
3. Stir in garlic , thyme, oregano and bayleaf, chilli flakes . Add the tomatoes, and olives , and cook a minute.
4. Mix the stock cube into the hot water and pour this into the tomato mixture in the pan . Bring the mixture to a simmer and lower heat .
5. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and simmer uncovered for 30- 40 minutes till chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced and thick.
6. Finally stir in finely chopped basil ( if available) and parsley. Serve with some nice crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
Enjoy!!. I made this to break my fast and almost forgot to take the picture :D.
This post is linked to Cook like A Star hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy kids