Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Hope all my readers , in any part of the world are safe and sound. Its so depressing to see the news, if its not storm there is the poverty and religious clashes and endless conflits that makes you wonder what the future holds for your children.
I know I havent been as frequent as I usually am with updating my blog with two kids on tow its not as easy as some might think, people do get the idea that being a stay at home mum means sitting at home and doing nothing !?!?! but then again I do try and squeeze a time and also a bit of piece of mind to post a recipe :).
This recipe is a recipe I have been searching for a while
. I have tried making gnocchi for some time but they always turn up too floury and a big mess. I finally found the perfect gnocchi recipe in Cook with Jamie, a jamie oliver cookbook, where he explains that you really dont need that much flour and instead of boiling the potatoes he roasts them.
I didnt change the recipe , no tweakings at all.
Recipe : Gnocchi adapted from Jamie Oliver's Gnocchi recipe on Cook with Jamie
4 medium potatoes
2-3 tbsp plain flour
1 egg ( small)
salt and pepper
1. Prick your potatoes with a fork and place them in a hot oven , about gas mark 5-6 and roast them till cooked through. I skewered mine into a metal skewer which according to nigella makes it faster to roast and cook the inside more quickly.
2. Remove and let the potatoes cool and then cut in half and scoop out the flesh while still warm. Mash them up and add flour a spoon at a time along with the egg, salt and tiny bit pepper.
3. Dont add too much flour, keep mixing in a spoon at a time till it all comes together, maximum 4 tbsp, I would say.
4. Roll the potato dough into a long thin log, easier if you divide into 4 individual balls. Then cut into small 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place in fridge for 1 -2 hours to set. If you have semolina flour sprinkle the tray you are placing the gnocchi pieces so they dont stick. you can even freeze them for later use .
5. When its almost time to serve, bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Once they start to boil, drop your gnocchi pieces into the water, remove with a slotted spoon once they float to the top.
6. Serve topped up with a good tomato sauce or even a nice meat stew. or any other flavour of choice.