Trying to get my eldest son to eat something new has become a challenge for me. He used to be very game when it comes trying out new food when he was younger but now at age 5 he has become quite picky. I wanted to make a noodles dish so while visiting some of my favourite blogs I came across a recipe at Kristy's blog . It was called chicken and potato with noodles. I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding some shitake mushrooms ( for my own taste buds), a little garlic and ginger for added flavour and loads of cracked black pepper for that spicy kick.
Recipe: Egg Noodles with Chicken and Potatoes recipe adapted from Potato Stew with Noodles at My little Space.
For 2-3 servings
4 chicken thigh fillets , cut into strips ( or use 2 boneless chicken breast pieces)
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into wedges
1 small onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1" piece ginger finely chopped
3 -4 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water ( 10 mins) then sliced
1 small head of brocolli, or half a large one, cut into florets. ( or use frozen)
1/2 a packet of thin egg noodles, cooked in boiling salted water and drained.
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 cups water ( approximate)
tiny bit salt and lots of freshly cracked black pepper
1. Heat a wok or deep frying pan with some oil, about 3 tbsp, enough to cover the bottom, fry the potato wedges. Turn them over to evenly brown them. Remove.Set a side .
2. Add onion, ginger and garlic into the pan and stir fry till soft, once they start to soften, stir in the chicken and mushrooms and stir fry till the chicken starts to brown.
3. Return the potatoes in to the pan and toss. Add the seasoning ingrediants, except the salt, add water and bring to a boil. Then simmer till the chicken is tender, the potatoes cooked through and the sauce is starting to thicken.
4. Add the brocolli , taste and add salt and more pepper if necessary. Then add the cooked noodles, and a little more water if necessary, cook 2-3 minutes to let the flavours combine but dont let the sauce dry off.
5. Switch off heat and serve as soon as possible.