Chicken and Chickpea Tagine



I started watching this Arabic cooking programme that is aired on Abu dhabi tv called Manaal Al Alam. A friend of mine recommended it. The recipes were quite interesting but I had a hard time with the language because I knew just a handful of Arabic words.
I could figure out most of the ingredients but when it comes to dry spices that's when the trouble starts. So if I come across a recipe I want to try I would call my friend up ( who understands the language) for help. The chef also has a website but Google Translate can sometimes be a bit crazy when translating.
 Anyway, I had some saffron strands which I brought along when I came back from Malaysia ( I came home with little spice bottles and condiments ).  This recipe is delicious!! Very simple too. If you don't have saffron make without it . I added some additional fresh herbs for colour and extra flavour.

Recipe : Chicken and Chickpea Tagine- Adapted from chicken and chickpea recipe from the tv show  Manaal Alam

3 whole chicken legs, thighs and drumsticks jointed
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated
1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 plum tomatoes or 3 if they seem small, chopped
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed under running water.
1/2 tsp chilli powder or you can use chilli flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp saffron strands
about 1 1/2 cups hot water
salt
Finely chopped parsley or coriander leaves ( or a mixture of both)
Olive oil


1. Place cumin, turmeric, pepper, a tiny bit of salt, and chilli powder in a large bowl, Rub it onto the chicken.  I like to have the skin on my chicken but you can remove it if you want. If removing the skin, slash across the flesh with a knife to let the spice rub into the meat. Set aside.

2.  Heat oil in a large casserole pot or a regular thick-bottomed pot with a tight lid.  Fry your chicken pieces (don't wash your bowl that kept your chicken in yet). Fry till golden. When frying, don't keep poking or checking the chicken, to see if it is done, leave it to brown, once its caramelized it will come off easily and won't stick to the pan, once it starts to turn golden you can easily turn it over to cook the other side. Remove to a plate.

3. Pour hot water into the bowl that you used to rub the spice rub onto your chicken and add the saffron strand. Give a stir and leave for the saffron to infuse into the hot water.

4. In the same pot that you cooked the chicken, remove any excess oil and in just 2 tbsps of oil, saute your onions and tomatoes till they start to soften. Add your chickpeas, ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.

5. Return the chicken to the pot, along with the juices collected at the bottom of the plate. Pour the saffron-infused water into the pot.

6. Bring to a boil, then simmer, over gentle heat, covered tightly with an aluminium foil and a lid. Or you can pop it into a preheated oven at Gas mark 3  for 45 minutes till the chicken is tender.

7. Remove from oven,  taste and add salt and adjust seasoning, Place on stove top and cook 1 extra minute. I personally found the gravy a little too thin so I stirred in a  little cornflour starch ( 1 tsp of cornflour mixed with about 1/4 cup water).

8. Stir in your finely chopped herbs. Serve on a bed of plain couscous.

Comments