Donna Hay's Chocolate Cake



My sister used to have lots of Donna Hay magazines and I used to think that was just a magazine name until recently I found out it was a magazine by someone called  Donna Hay!!!.  I know sounds very Duh!!! hello!!! sort of thing  :). Anyway, I saw this recipe on her show, Fast, Fresh and Simple and it became my favourite recipe!
Mainly because it uses just one bowl, meaning fewer things to wash, its chocolate ( my preschool son would eat!), and it is not very cake-like. Very dense and rich due to the almonds and less flour. I reduced the amount of chocolate because my eldest sis said that it needed to be a bit sweeter.
Recipe:  Chocolate Cake : Slightly adapted version of Donna Hays' Ultimate One-bowl chocolate cake

125g butter, softened
150g  good quality cooking chocolate, broken into pieces
1 cup sugar ( preferably  caster sugar or fine sugar )
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tbsp milk
1 cup ground almonds
5 eggs

1. Preheat your oven to  Gas mark 3 (170 degrees Celsius)

2. Place butter and chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and place over a pan of simmering water on the stovetop. The water should not touch the bowl.  Let it melt.

3. Take the bowl off the heat, and stir in sugar, flour, milk and almonds, mixing in each time you add a new component.

4. Finally mix in the eggs.

5. Pour into a lightly greased spring form pan ( I am pretty bad with pan measurements, some help in this area please, it's mostly guess for me )  cover the top with an aluminium foil, and bake for 40- 45 minutes. check by inserting a toothpick and should come out clean. Cool in the tin,  and serve.

Great for days when you are craving a good dose of chocolatey  treat

Comments