Saturday, April 7, 2012
Passionfruit and Mango Sorbet
Its blistering hot these days, so this is a perfect cooling treat . I have to walk back and forth from preschool. Its easier to walk here rather than taking a taxi or bus, plus its good excersise for me. I cant wait for rain to come soon. So till then will have to make do with my refreshing treat.
I dont make sorbets using egg whites, a little uneasy eating raw egg whites , and giving it to kids. But even without it the mangoes give it a nice creamy texture. The local mangoes are small but bursting with sweetness but some can be slighly stringy so best you strain it if you get a stringy one, after pureeing it.
Recipe: Passion fruit and Mango Sorbet:
1/3 cup passion fruit , strained to remove the seeds.
1 extra passion fruit , pulp with seeds
1 cup mango, chopped ( use sweet ripe ones ) or if mangoes are unavailable use a 225g can of mangoes.
1 cup good quality orange juice from a packet ( feel free to squeeze fresh oranges if u like)
1/2 cup sugar ( or more to taste )
1. Place metal tray inside the freezer before starting to make the sorbet. ( or get your ice cream maker ready if you have one).
2. Place mangoes, the strained passion fruit , orange juice and sugar in a blender and blend to a smooth puree. ( you can strain 1 more time to remove the strings from the mangoes if you like ).
3. Mix in the passion fruit pulp with seeds into the pureed mixture ( I just love the crunch of the seeds now and then , feel free to omit it out.)
4. Take the tray you placed in the freezer and pour the mixture into the tray and place in the freezer. This method is used only if you dont have an ice cream maker, and let it do all the work for you.
5. Since I didnt have one, here is how I did, pop the sorbet mix back into the freezer. Take it out after 1 hour, pour into a bowl and gave a good mix( or place in a food processer and pulse once or twice.)
Pop it back in and repeat twice within the next two hours.
6. The third time, the mixture will be very smooth and velvety, so pour into a plastic container or even an old icecream tub, and pop back in the freezer.
7. Before serving, place in the refrigerator section 30 minutes before serving to soften it a little , which makes it easier to scoop it out .
Yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!! and have a lovely week end!!