Saturday, March 17, 2012
Sticky Nut topped Cake
I used a local nut known as Indian almonds or tropical almonds instead of pecans which was used in the original recipe and full fat plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
Recipe : Sticky Nut Topped Cake: adapted from the recipe Sticky pecan upside down baby cakes from the magazine Best Desserts- Betterhomes and Garden special.
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
about 3/4 cup chopped indian almonds (kanamadu) or pecans
1 1/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 medium eggs or 1 large egg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup plain full fat yogurt
about 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius Gas mark 4. Lightly Grease a 4 cup capacity round oven dish , or slightly bigger ( if you want a thinner topping layer) dish. Set a side.
2. Place the topping igrediants except the nuts in a small saucepan and place over a gentle heat and stir to combine. Once the mixture is nice and smooth , stir in nuts and pour the mixture in to the prepared dish and spread if so it covers the bottom.
3. Take two bowls, in one bowl , sift in flour along with salt , baking powder and baking soda. Give a mix, set a side.
4. In the second bowl, beat eggs and sugar till pale and thick. Stir in oil , yogurt and vanilla essence.
5. Carefully stir in the flour mixture into the egg mixture, stir till its nice and smooth and lump free.
6. Pour over the nut mixture in the oven dish, place the dish on a baking tray and place in the middle shelf of oven. Bake for about 30-45 minutes, till a toothpick or skewer comes out clean . Cool, run a knife around the edge and place your serving plate on top and gently invert the cake onto the plate
Enjoy! and have a nice weekend!!