Sunday, March 25, 2012
Was it a fun holiday?, well ....... mid week turned ugly with this happening on the streets. It makes me sad and upset to think that our country once considered a peaceful place is mounting tension and hatred and makes me mad that these politicians think only of themselves and not of the effect these monkey business effects the minds of the future generations.
My apologies to my faithful followers but my mind just went numb for a few days. Now praying that everything settles down and people would rather talk peacefully rather than go violent and without monkeying around. So far things have quietened down and everything seems pretty normal.
Now for something to cheer us up, FOOD!!! The dish does look very sophisticated but its made using very few ingrediants and a surprise one in the form of canned corned beef. Yes that nasty stuff that comes in a can. I never quite liked it but my mum and elder sister loves this stuff.
Before you start, make sure you scrap off all oily stuff on the meat.Once you get that off, then the taste isnt that strong.
Recipe: Potato Roulade : Recipe adapted from Sweet potato roulade from Fast and Healthy Recipes ( I know I know, I just turned one very healthy recipe to a dietition's nightmare )
450g potatoes, boiled and mashed.
1 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp milk
4 eggs, seperated.
big handful of grated chedder cheese
salt and pepper
Filling : 1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, grated
1 -2 chillies, chopped(optional)
1 small can of corned beef
salt and pepper
1. Melt butter and pour into the mashed potatoes along small pinch of salt and with a few tablespoons of milk. Mix well till you get nice smooth mash. ( use left over mash potatoes instead )
2. Beat the egg yolks , and mix it into the potato mash mixture. Stir in grated cheese.
3. Beat the egg whites till soft peaks form, gently fold in half the egg white into the potato mixture, mix well but gently . Fold in the rest of the egg whites.
4. Pour the mixture into a baking tray ( those rectangular swiss roll trays or small cookie trays, I am pretty bad when it comes to giving baking tray sizes ), which is lined with a lightly greased baking paper. Bake in a preheated oven at , gas mark 5 I think thats about 200 degreese celsius, for about
15- 20 minutes, till cooked through and a tooth pick comes out clean.
5. While that is baking, prepare the filling. Heat a pan with a little olive oil or just vegetable oil, stir fry your onions till soft. Stir in garlic and the corned beef, breaking it up. Add chillies if using and pepper ( be generous with pepper) taste and add salt as its quite salty. Feel free to add some curry powder to give it a bit spicy kick. Cook till its dry and leave to cool.
6. Take the baked potato cake mixture from the oven. Let it cool a little then while its still warm, invert it onto a baking paper place over a clean kitchen towel. Using the towel, roll the potato cake as you would for swiss rolls, let it sit like that for a while. about 2 minutes, then unroll it and let it cool completely.Check the here for how to roll as for swiss rolls
7. Spread the beef filling leaving half an inch clear from the sides. Roll it up. Leave it like this and wrapped in foil for about 10 minutes, then remove foil and cut into thick slices and serve with a nice green salad.
Note : If you a real corned beef hater, use about 200g of ground beef or lamb