Thursday, January 5, 2012
Tuna And Pesto Pizza
So Now I have relocated back home to Maldives, the recipes will change to more local produce and also to stuff available around here, without breaking the bank. The prices are sky high. And yes they do have pesto , huge bottles infact, in most supermarkets.
My eldest sister has handed my her huge bottle of pesto
saying she had no idea on what to do with it. I was planning to make pizza for dinner and decided to pair it up with tuna. Both me and my hubby agree that tuna and pesto go very well together.
Recipe : Tuna and Pesto Pizza
For 1 regular size thin crust pizza
Pizza dough :
salt( about 1/4 tsp)
olive oil ( about 3 tbsp)
3/4 ( approximately) cups, lukewarm water
1 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
3-4 tbsp pesto ( bottled or freshly made)
1 can tuna, any liquid drained and the fish flaked
1 small onion, chopped finely
1/2 tsp ground fennel( dhavigandhu) seeds
4 mild chilli peppers or capsicums
1/2 a large red bell pepper, deseeded
salt and pepper
a generous amount of chedder cheese, grated
1. In a mug , add luke warm water and sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Sprinkle the yeast on top and leave covered for 10 minutes till it frothes.
2. While thats happenning, sift flour into a large bowl, along with salt and make a well in the centre. Add olive oil and then slowly add the frothy yeast mixture a little at a time till the dough sticks and comes to gether. Knead the dough till its soft and smooth. Rub some olive oil around a clean bowl place the dough inside, cover with a cling film and a clean kitchen cloth and leave to rise for 1- 2 hours in a warm area in the kitchen( now dont go chucking it into the oven )
3. While the dough rises, prepare your topping, place your chilli peppers and the bell pepper ( skin side down) in a hot oven till the skin blisters and blackens. Place them in a bowl , cover with a cling film or plate and leave to cool, then remove the skin with your fingers, deseed and roughly chop them into large pieces.
4. Prepare the tuna by heating a small frying pan with a little oil, saute' the onions till soft, add the flaked up tuna , fennel , a big pinch of pepper, and salt to taste. Cook till the mixture is quite dry. Let it cool.
5. Now to make a crispy thin crust pizza you need a very hot oven about gas mark 6 , preheated of course. And you have to get the pizza pan or what ever pan you are using hot too.
6. Take the pizza dough out, punch it down and then roll it out on a piece of large foil which is lightly oiled with just a tiny bit of olive oil. Take the hot baking pan or tray out and slide the dough in or just pop the foil in and adjust the dough to fit the pan, dont worry the foil will come off easily once its baked.
7. Spread a thin layer of pesto all over the pizza, top with the tuna, and scatter the chilli peppers and bell pepper. Finally top with a generous amount of chedder. Finish off by sprinkling a pinch of black pepper on top. Bake till the cheese is golden.