Saturday, November 26, 2011
Stir fried Chicken With Potatoes and Shimeji Mushrooms
I saw this recipe on a Japanese cooking programme. No I dont speak Japanese but read the subtitles. Most recipes are quite simple and they are not always sushi or as bland as I though. This recipe caught my attention cos it was so simple and used mushrooms called shimeji mushrooms. I remembered seeing them at the supermarket so wanted to try it.
Shimeji mushrooms are quite small, and not so strong tasting but delicious. You have to remove the roots before you cook them.
here about these shimeji mushrooms.
Recipe : Stir fried chicken with potatoes and shimeji mushrooms - recipe adapted from japanese tv programme Dosanko Cooking
1 Punnet of shimeji mushrooms
1 big potato or 2 medium ones, peeled and cut into small strips, as you would for making fries but smaller and thinner
3-4 pieces of boneless chicken thigh fillets cut into strips
2 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
a good dash of ketchup or tomato sauce, about a tablespoon or 2
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 mild red chilli thinly sliced
a handful of fresh parsley finely chopped
1. Cut the roots off the mushrooms. Cook your potatoes in lightly salted till tender but dont over cook them , dont want mushy potatoes.
2. Heat wok or large frying pan till hot , add oil and swirl it around. Add the chicken and stir fry till chicken is nice and golden and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
3. Add potatoes and stir fry till the potatoes turn to a golden colour, remove and set aside.
4. Finally add the garlic and working cooking stirfry for 1 minute , then add mushrooms and chillies , return the potatoes and chicken and stir fry to infuse flavour of garlic and chilli.
5. Ketchup or tomato sauce and soy sauce, about 2 tablespoons of water and stir fry till you get nice sauce. Taste add salt or soy sauce if necessary, adjust to your liking.
6. Finally stir in parsely, switch off and serve with plain cooked rice.