Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Slow Baked Chicken with Potatoes, Lemons and Thyme
4 whole chicken leg pieces , seperated into thigh and drumstick pieces , i left the skin on
about 5-6 slices of lemon
10 cloves of garlic, left whole with skin on
a few sprigs of thyme or use dried herbs ( about a big pinch)
2 tsps Cajun spice mix( or use paprika if you dont have it or play around with the spices that you have)
6-8 small or equal size potatoes , peeled ( or cut 2 large potatoes into big chunks)
black pepper and salt
olive oil or vegetable oil
1 cup ( 250 ml ) stock ( or 1 chicken stock cube mixed with chicken stock)
Preheat oven to about 180 degree celsius
1. Pat chicken pieces dry using paper towels season with salt.
2. Heat a large frying pan till very hot, add oil and then carefully sear the chicken pieces skin side down till the skin is light brown but not cooked through. Remove and place the chicken pieces in a large roasting pan or oven dish. Arrange the chicken pieces in it. Sprinkle the cajun spice on top so it adds a coat on the chicken pieces.
3. Arrange the potatoes between the chicken pieces, add the garlic cloves and lemon slices and thyme in empty spaces so it looks all nice and cozy :). sprinkle in a salt and pepper and more spice if you like.
4. Carefully pour in chicken stock , cover with foil and place in oven for about 45 minutes to one hour. Remove foil, cook for a furthr 20 minutes or so to brown the potatoes and reduce the sauce.
5. Serve with a simple green salad or some blanched green beans or brocolli