Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Roshi is the Maldivian version of chapati or tortilla's. I saw this recipe in Nigella Lawson's Kitchen series and its a great way to use up left over flatbread. She called it a Mexican lasagne and was a complete vegetarian meal. I tweaked the recipe and made something slightly different.
Recipe Roshi Pie : recipe adapted from Mexican Lasagne by Nigella Lawson
You will need :
3-4 left over cooked flat breads, such as roshi, chapati or tortilla
1 can of kidney beans or use baked beans if you like
2-3 tablespoons dried tuna flakes ( optional, this is purely to please the palate of my hubby ), see note below
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
2 green chillies, finely sliced
1 (400g) can of chopped tomatoes ( or use 4-5 tomatoes , peeled and chopped )
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinamon
1/2 tsp ground oregano
a big handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
salt and pepper
1 cup frozen , canned or fresh corn kernals ( sweet corn)
1 cup grated chedder cheese, grated
oil ( olive oil or vegetable oil)
1. In a bowl, mix grated cheese and corn, set side.
2. Heat oil in a large deep frying pan or cooking pot, saute' your onions till they go soft and translucent. Add garlic, and dried tuna , if using and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add in tomatoes, spices, oregano , chillies and beans and 1/2 a can of water using the empty tomato can. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 5 - 10 minutes till the sauce is very thick , stir occasionally. Taste and add salt. Stir in coriander leaves, cook one minute and then switch off and let it cool.
3. Preheat your oven to about 200 degree celsius, use a round oven dish or baking tray if possible, one that will fit a single flatbread .Rub a little oil inside the pan.
4. Ladle the bean sauce at the bottom of the dish or tray , spread it so its a nice generous layer at the bottom. Place a flat bread you are using on top. Sprinkle the corn and cheese mixture on top of the flat bread. Then repeat with another sauce layer, the second flat bread and go on till you get to the final flat bread layer. Spread the last bit of sauce and a good generous amount of cheese and corn or just cheese .
Bake for about 30- 45 minutes till the top is golden and bubbly. Serve with a nice green salad. Enjoy!
Note : you can vary the recipe using meat or use some left over Chilli corn carne instead.