Thursday, June 2, 2011
Toffee Apple Tart
Even though I do like to indulge in slightly over budget food, I am always on the look out for good recipes that require few ingrediants which are cheap and easily available. According to the news from back home the prices have sky rocketed so I try to come up with recipes that are delicious and made using things that are easily available at a reasonable price.
I came across this recipe by my favorite chef, Jamie Oliver in his book Jamie's dinners which by the way is one of his best books because most of the recipes are very easy to make and not over the top with a long list of ingrediants.
Be warned this is a very sweet treat, so serve in small slices not huge slices :) and use icing sugar as I have tried making this with regular sugar but it just didnt work out well.
Tofee Apple Tart recipe : jamie 's Dinner
325g ( a small can) sweet condensed milk
2 green apples, peeled , cored and sliced
2 tbsps icing sugar
50g icing sugar
tiny pinch salt
1 small egg
1-2 tbsp milk or water
1. First , fill a heavy bottomed stainless steel pot with water. Place your unopened can of condensed milk inside, making sure its stand upright and not floating around. Place the lid and put a heavy object such as the motor of the motor and pestle. Bring to a boil. Let it boil for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Make sure you check the water level and that it doesnt dry up, keep refilling it every now and then.
2. While that is happening, prepare the pastry. Cream butter and icing sugar then rub in the flour into it along with a tiny pinch of salt.
3. Add the egg and mix well , if it comes to gether then no need to add milk , but if it looks too dry add a tbsp at a time till you are able to mix well. Ball it up and wrap it in cling film and chill for and hour in the fridge.
4. Check your can of condensed milk and take it out after the required time frame, then let it cool, you can even make this a day ahead. Make sure its completely cool before opening. The inside will be all toffee like and taste absolutely divine!!!.
5. Toss the apple slices with icing sugar.
6. Take your pastry out and roll it between two sheets of cling film or baking paper, as its easier this way. Line in a lightly buttered small spring form baking tray or regular round baking try. Trim the edges and let it chill another 30 minutes.
7. Take the baking trays out and then place a baking paper or piece of foil on top and fill it with beans or rice, incooked rice ofcourse!! ( bake blind) as shown below.
Place in a preheated oven at around 200 degree celcius , about 20 minutes. Take it out remove the beans and paper and then pop it back in for another 5 - 10 minutes to cook the inside.
8. Take the cooked pastry out, spread with the" toffee-ed " condensed milk, layer the apples on top and pop back in the oven for another 45 minutes or so. I tried two ways on was spreading the topping and then arranging the apples, but I think it looks better when you fill it with apples first then spread the toffee on top.
Enjoy!!!, Going off to Malacca for a week , before the baby arrives in August, so see you guys after a week , will try and catch up with all my blogger buddies when I get back!!!