TDM CCN Header

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Egg Fried Rice


I love fried rice and its  an easy way to use up left over rice.  When growing up I would graze my food and my mum would scold me if  I leave any left overs on the plate. Finally she made me sit during a news hours and showed me the then most talked about news, the sufferings in Somalian war. The kids with swollen bellies and flies and tired  hungry faces made me cringe. I have to say  as a parent  we spoil our kids rotten with expensive gifts
and  go to lenghts to find certain expensive foods just because the  kid likes it, rather than letting it be an occasional treat.  I think we should  try and get kids to be thankful with what they have  and think about  kids who dont get  to have such luxuries.  I will leave you with that to think about.....................

This is the simplest of all fried rice recipes I think, feel free to use any kind of vegetable  you have and  different types of meat, I used a sausage cut into thin slices, left over roast chicken is also a good option.  Just make sure your rice is cold and forked through so the grains are seperate and not in big clumps.

For 2  servings

1 cup cold cooked rice
2 spring onions, finely sliced, keep the whites and greens seperate ( use a regular shallot if you dont have spring onion)
1 fat clove garlic, finely chopped
A small handful of ground cooked  meat of your choice  or 1 sausage finely sliced
A handful of vegetables ( fresh or frozen, eg beans, carrots, peas, corn kernels)
Light soy sauce
1 egg beaten
Oil

1. Get everything ready before you start cooking.  Make sure all the vegetables are chopped up , and ready at hand near the stove before you start.

2. Heat your wok or a large deep frying pan ,  once its hot  add oil.   Then add your beaten egg and let it set from the sides , then start scrambling it around so you get nice little pieces of egg.

3. Working quickly , stir in your meat and stir fry till the meat is cooked through.  Add the whites of the spring onion and garlic.  Continue tossing and stirring.  A spatulla is the best tool for this type of cooking.

4. Finally stir in rice  and vegetables. Sprinkle a little water and toss to mix everything . Add a few splashes of soy sauce, about a tablespoon , and finally the green part of the spring onion. Taste, adjust salt if necessary.

5. Serve as soon as possible as there is nothing nicer than freshly made fried rice.

Sending this to Akila's  event for this month " Dish  Name Starts With E " 

And before I leave off,   seriously people think before you throw away food, I am not saying i am the most frugal of all but I try to use leftovers as much as I can. Do you realise how much food we actually waste each day?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails