TDM CCN Header

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rice with Tomatillos


Happy New year!!!, Hope everyone had a great holiday season and is back with the school here in malaysia, my little boy didnt seem very excited to be back in school, maybe its the first day blues :).

As you know I just came back from KL and  while in KL  as usual I made sure I visit a good supermarket to check out the food aisles :) . I discovered a can of tomatillos.
I have always heard of tomatillos but never had them . The only mexican food I have tasted or rather made are quesidella and guacamole.  Am looking forward to learn more about it from this new cooking show starting here by chef Rick Bayless, Mexico one plate at a time.

Ok , back to my tomatillos, tomatillos is a green tomato but has an outer covering like a cape gooseberry ( or muraaki in Dhivehi).  You can find more info from here and check out the photos too.


So I came home with my can of tomatillos  and while searching for a recipe I found this recipe called a green Rice  in Around the world in 350 recipes cook book.  Its quite an easy recipe , but I ended up with too much liquid which made the rice a little mushy.

Green Rice ( Adapted from Crab with Green Rice Recipe -Around the world in 350 recipes)
For 3 -4 people you will need

1 cup long grain or basmati rice
1 large can tomatillos ( about a 500g can)
1 onion
2 fat cloves garlic
a big bunch of coriander leaves
1 1/2 cups water or stock
Salt
oil, I used corn oil

1. Wash your rice in running water and soak in water for about 30 minutes , drain and set  a side.

2. Place your tomatillos ,a little of the liquid in the can ,  onions, garlic and coriander leaves in a blender or processor and blend it all up.

3.Heat a large frying pan with  a generous amount of oil , add the rice and stir fry till the rice is coated with the oil  , stir in the pureed mix and stock. Season with salt and cook over a medium  heat , give it a stir a few times as mine kept sticking to the bottom.  Once the liquid evaporates and is cooked through  switch off and set a side for a few minutes and then serve. Serve with some lettuce leaves ( as according to the recipe in the book) The lettuce really complimented the rice.

So how was your holidays, I had a blast in KL  along with my eldest sister and niece. I  tried to get my brother in law to try and update my lap top and he finally threw his hands in the air and claimed I needed a new on and so have finally bought myself a cute little laptop ( with a little help from hubby and  sister ).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....