TDM CCN Header

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Parmesan cornbread

I love checking out supermarkets and local markets  when I visit other states of malaysia and even other countries. If its not me and some one else from my family is going abroad I always request for something food related whether its a cook book or   for ingrediants that are not easily available here.
 During my last visit to penang, another more developed area of malaysia , I bought a packet of cornmeal. Ever since I bought it, I have been waiting to try  and make a corn bread, something which I have never made before, but have heard so much of . First I used the cornmeal   to make Reni's  chili pie which was delicious, by the way.  

I found this recipe on a diebetic living magazine, I bought it before my dad's last visit as heis always  trying to control his diabetes. His sugar is quite controlled but sometimes it tends to go up and down. Anyway, I decided to try the recipe on that magazine.  It was delicious and nice and soft.

The recipe is as taken from "our best diabetic recipes magazine", I did the same as the original recipe but omitted a few things which I didnt have such as bulgur and fresh basil ( was out of basil when I made it), you can get the original recipe here or just check out recipe below.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup finely sliced spring onions
2 tbsp olive oil or regular cooking oil

Also in the recipe but not included in mine  : 1/4 cup bulgur ( soaked in boiling water) and 2 tablespoons chopped basil)

1. Grease a loaf tin with oil and dust with flour.  Preheat oven to  about 200 degree celsius.

2. In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingrediants, ie .. flour, parmesan, cornmeal, 1/2 tsp salt, sugar, baking powder, mix and make a well in the centre.

3. In a smaller bowl, mix all the wet ingrediants , eggs, milk , oil and spring onions. Beat well and pour into the centre of the bowl with dry ingrediants.

4. Mix with a wooden or metal spoon till mixed well but still lumpy ( add the bulgur while adding the egg mixture , if using).

5. Pour into loaf tin and bake for about 45 minutes till nice and golden and a tooth pick comes clean. Cool in the tin  out side  on a wire rack .

Still got some  more corn meal left , got any ideas how to use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails