Thursday, November 25, 2010
During my last visit to penang, another more developed area of malaysia , I bought a packet of cornmeal. Ever since I bought it, I have been waiting to try and make a corn bread, something which I have never made before, but have heard so much of . First I used the cornmeal to make Reni's chili pie which was delicious, by the way.
I found this recipe on a diebetic living magazine, I bought it before my dad's last visit as heis always trying to control his diabetes. His sugar is quite controlled but sometimes it tends to go up and down. Anyway, I decided to try the recipe on that magazine. It was delicious and nice and soft.
The recipe is as taken from "our best diabetic recipes magazine", I did the same as the original recipe but omitted a few things which I didnt have such as bulgur and fresh basil ( was out of basil when I made it), you can get the original recipe here or just check out recipe below.
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/3 cup finely sliced spring onions
2 tbsp olive oil or regular cooking oil
Also in the recipe but not included in mine : 1/4 cup bulgur ( soaked in boiling water) and 2 tablespoons chopped basil)
1. Grease a loaf tin with oil and dust with flour. Preheat oven to about 200 degree celsius.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingrediants, ie .. flour, parmesan, cornmeal, 1/2 tsp salt, sugar, baking powder, mix and make a well in the centre.
3. In a smaller bowl, mix all the wet ingrediants , eggs, milk , oil and spring onions. Beat well and pour into the centre of the bowl with dry ingrediants.
4. Mix with a wooden or metal spoon till mixed well but still lumpy ( add the bulgur while adding the egg mixture , if using).
5. Pour into loaf tin and bake for about 45 minutes till nice and golden and a tooth pick comes clean. Cool in the tin out side on a wire rack .
Still got some more corn meal left , got any ideas how to use it?