masbai , sometimes as a salad. I saw this recipe in a Sri lankan cook book , The fine art of sri lankan cuisine, and this recipe caught my attention.
What interested me was that it had beetroot in it, and since I have limited ideas about using beetroot, I decided to give it a try. Its a lovely rice dish and a great way to get kids to eat vegetables like beetroot.
My son was quite fascinated by the pinkish tinge on the rice and wanted to know why the beetroot gives it colour.
Anyway back to my pebble rice. Its called pebble rice because the vegetables are cut into pebble shape, I think, I am not sure how big or small a pebble is so I just cut into small cubes.
For 2-3 people
1 small potato
1/2 a large carrot or 1 small baby carrot
1/2 a big beetroot or 1 baby beetroot
2-3 spring onions ( finely sliced, keep the white and green parts seperate)
1 /2 red bell pepper or 1 if small pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
5 curry leaves
1/2 cup rice( preferably basmathi), washed and soaked in water for about 10 minutes
oil or butter or ghee
Water or stock
1. First prepare rice, by heating a wok or a non stick pan or even your rice cooker, add oil and then saute' the white part of your spring onions till soft, about a minute. Add garlic , curry leaves and stir fry for a minute. Drain the rice , and add to the pan and stir fry so its coated with oil and onion mixture. Add salt ( about a big pinch) and then water or stock. For this amount of rice you will need a about 1 cup and a little more water, say a 1/4 more. Cook uncovered over a medium heat.
Ps you can even add rice and place it on the rice cooker and cook.
2. For the vegetables, peel all the root vegetables, keep the beetroot seperate and do it last as it will stain everything else. Remove the memembrane of the peppers and the seeds. Cut everything into about 1/2 - 1 cm cubes.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan or a wok, add your potatoes first and fry them till they are nice and golden on the outside and cooked through. Dont make the oil too hot as it will burn and make sure you give a toss to rotate it and cook evenly. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Next toss the carrots just to cook a little but not brown . Remove on to kitchen paper. finally the beetroot , cook as you did for the carrots, just a couple of tosses in the oil.
5. Put all the cooked vegetables in to a salad bowl or mixing bowl , along with the greens of the spring onions and the bell peppers. Then stir in the cooked rice. Mix well. Serve.