TDM CCN Header

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Spicy Grilled Prawns

I learnt how to clean and handle prawns from my malaysian landlady  back in 1996. I was  living with her as a tenant while attending collage  in KLor kolej in malay.  Even though she rarely cooked being a working  woman her self , the days she actually thought of cooking would mean she was going to cook atleast one dish using prawns. Sometimes she  would take me and my room mate with her to market.
Then she would give us chores usually peeling and deveining the prawns. At 16 it wasnt exactly the most enjoyable thing todo, and we would scowl our way through it. But then she did teach a lot of things around the house hold and kind of kept us grounded with rules and chores. I got to taste my first rasam at this house and she makes a really tasty rasam.

Anyway I bought some lovely fat prawns from the market today and decided to grill them.


 No, I dont have a barbeque grill and own a tiny oven , so I improvised, placed a wire rack on my stove and placed the skewers on top. It wasnt that messy except had to  move them a little so all the prawns got cooked through. ( the tail did get a little charred because I had it too close to the fire)

I used the some of the common ingrediants  used for lonumirus  ,  but added soy sauce.  Then squeezed the lime later  right after grilling.

So here is a very simple way, it just an idea that popped into my head , anyway give it try , add more stuff and vegetables to it if you like.

for 2
12 large prawns
3 fat cloves of garlic, pound to paste or 1 tsp of garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder or u can use paprika
1/2 freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin
a tiny pinch of salt
about 1-2 tbsps light soysauce
1/2 a lime
2-3 bamboo skewers

1. Soak your bamboo skewers in water for about and 30 minutes or more.

2. Clean and devein the prawns , leave the tail intact  if you like.

3. Mix chilli powder, pepper , cumin and garlic in a small bowl. Add a tiny pinch of salt and soy sauce.

4. Mix the prawns into the chilli mixture and leave to marinate for about 20 minutes. 

5.  Skewer on to the bamboo skewers and grill It takes just 5 minutes to cook , make sure you grill both sides, brush with the marinade if any left in it. Once they are cooked through and the skin becomes pink, remove them and  squeeze the lime  over them while they are hot.Serve !

Note: prawns  tend to get rubbery if over cooked so cook until just tender.

8 comments:

  1. Ellerinize, sağlık, çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tempting...delicious..and mouthwatering...

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to improvise, they look delicious! Your recipe has a lot of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to take that shrimp and have it with the mushrooms and pasta you have in the previous post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow these look amazing can't beat fresh seafood and cool how you cooked them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello..coming by to greet u good day..and the food looks good..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm drooling over here, that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails