Friday, October 29, 2010
Easy Beany Quesidella
Its the end of the month , which means trying to stick to a budget and try to make healthy meals using store cupboard ingrediants. I have a well stocked store cupboard. I have to have my canned tomatoes, the spices, lentils and cans of beans and of course cans of tuna. I usually buy in bulk when I go to supermarket, which is about once in two weeks , and usually to tesco .Once a freind commented whether I was doing shopping for a month!!!. So now I go grocery shopping alone, not that I usually take friends along, just cant start people scrutinizing and analysing how much I am spending on food. I dont spend much on clothes but when it comes to food and kitchen supplies, thats a another story :)
Ok enough talking , lets get cooking :). I made these quesidellas last week. Had a few leftover roshi , a couple of tomatoes in the fridge and a sorry looking bunch of coriander leaves and a small can of kidney beans. Made the kidney beans using a recipe for mexican red fried bean.,
For a snack or a light dinner for 2 :
220g can of kidney beans ( if you are buying from malaysia make sure you check lable as sometimes you might end up buying a sweetened kidney bean can with coconut milk!!)
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium tomato chopped
a nice bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
a big pinch of pepper
a green chilli, sliced ( optional)
4 cooked roshi, chapatti or tortilla
A big handful of cheese
1. Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan, and saute' your onion till soft and translucent. Add your tomatoes, the chilli and cumin and stir fry for few minutes to soften the tomatoes. Add a little water, about 1/4 cup and stir in kidney beans . ( before cooking, drain the liquid from the can and wash the beans before cooking this reduced the sugar used while canning the kidney beans).
2. Cook the mixture for about 1-2 minutes, stir occasionaly. Using a fork or a potato masher, roughly and stir in the coriander leaves , stir and season with salt and pepper. Dont add too much salt as you will be using cheese while making the quesidella. let it cool a little.
3. To assemble the quesidella, place a roshi or flat bread of your choice on a work surface, top with grated cheese, then spread the bean mixture evenly on top. Top with more cheese, then the second piece of roshi. Repeat with the remaining two flat bread.
4. Heat a large frying pan, then add a little oil just to coat the bottom, then carefully place the quesidella press down gently . Cook on one side then using a spatulla or a fish slice, carefully invert it to cook the other side of the quesidella.
5. Remove once cooked, cool and cut into wedges.Enjoy!!!
Have a nice week end!