Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Pasta with roasted pepper and tomato sauce
Dont you get tired of eating pasta with tomato sauce everytime? I make tomato sauce for my son and have been making it for some time , so I decided to make this instead. I saw chef micheal smith make roasted pepper sauce in chef at home series and decided to give it a try , althought I made mine a little different
I discoverd a bag of frozen spinach in a near by supermarket. Was so excited to see it , and the best part of it, was that it was not all in one bundle more like little balls scrunched up and frozen inside ,which makes it easier to take a few handfuls and put them in whatever you are making. So I used some to put in the sauce.
The amount I made looked enough for about 5-6 people . I used just a little sauce and freezed the rest.
You will need:
2 Large red bell peppers
3-4 medium tomatoes
6 cloves garlic , with the skin on.
1 medium onion , cut into wedges
about 1/2 cup frozen spinach, or fresh spinach, blanched and chopped up(optional)
1/2 tsp dried herbs
salt and pepper
Pasta( short pasta like fusili, penne etc)
1. Cut the peppers in half and deseed them and remove the white membrane. Cut the tomatoes in half.
2. Place the peppers , tomatoes, garlic and onion wedges in a bowl, add herbs salt and pepper . Add oil and mix well.
Place in a tray , lined with foil ( easier to clean) and roast in oven at about 200- 250 degrees celsius till everthing softens, about 30 - 45 minutes. ( if you like a bit of heat add a whole green chilli along with them.
3. Once the vegetables are soft , remove the garlic cloves and put the rest in a food processor or blender. Squeeze the garlic flesh out of their skin and add into the vegetables. Add the spinach a little water ( a few table spoons) and puree.
4. Taste season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook your pasta in boiling salted water till al dente'. Heat your sauce , just to warm it up and toss your pasta in. If you want some meat in , feel free to toss in some left over roast chicken or sausages.
I would also like to wish all muslims Ramadhan mubarak, and hope you all have a blessed and peaceful month of fasting.