Disastrous lamb chops

When you are fasting you crave all sorts of things.  By the end of last week I  wanted to eat meat!! Was sick of eating chicken and fish.  I remembered seeing some nice chucks of beef at a nearby supermarket  so headed there after dropping my son off.
Much to my disappointment there wasn't a very good piece of beef, what was a bit was greying looking chunks but lots of nice lamb shoulder pieces. Lamb shoulder cut into steak pieces.  I love lamb but I usually cook lamb shanks because every time I attempt lamb chops they end up tough. After deliberating over it I got curious looks from passing shoppers, of course, they were probably wondering why I was standing in front of the meat counter for almost 10 minutes!!.

So finally I purchased two huge pieces of lamb shoulder. Came home and did a little research on what goes well with lamb shoulder pieces. I marinated it, as it is said lamb shoulder pieces were tough. Marinated in lemon juice, rosemary and garlic. Left it overnight.

Come next day, I took it out around 4 in the afternoon, placed it on a hot frying pan and prayed that it will cook. Well, it did cook but there was still a little blood on top when I pressed down with a spatualla. I have read Robin Cook's, Toxin, so I eat my meat well done. Having little experience with chops and hoping to make the chops tender I added water. Left the water to dry and out and then took them out.

It was so tough!!! My jaw was aching by the time I finished my meal!!. Hubby tried to eat the civilised way of cutting with knife and fork , when that didnt work he tried to saw it with the knife!!

Finally gave up and using his hands started to tear with his teeth. I joined in and we both joked we were eating like lions eat the flesh of  their prey.

So how do you cook a  such cuts of lamb!

Comments

  1. Hahaha.... OMG, I'm so sorry about your lamb chop! Yes, indeed it's a disaster. So, now there are 2 hungry lions tearing up their meats! Guess, those kind of meat only suitable to make 'Rendang'~ braised meat with coconut milk. Btw, is that imported meat or local produce? Hope you'll find a better one next time. Best of luck!
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! You must have cooked it for far too long. I usually grill my chops or cook them in a tomato based sauce fo some kind.

    And thank you thank you thank you for the pasta maker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lolz, i agree with Kamana u would have cooked it for a long..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that happened! I have never cooked lamb before so I have no tips to offer you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny though that your husband tried to saw it :) Next time I would try the braise, too. Low heat for a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....