Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Fish cakes are easy to make and also , you can flavour it any way you like. I make this usually during the end of the month, which makes it a good budget recipe, and my son loves them . I like to create shapes for him and he would go " first i will eat the triangle then I will eat the circle " :). I saw mayonise being added in a recipe book once and it keeps the fish cakes from drying up.
for about 6 fish cakes
1 small can tuna
2 spring onions , finely sliced
200 g potatoes, boiled and mashed
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1-2 chillies ( optional)
1/4 lemon juice
2 tsps mayonise
1 egg, beaten
a little flour
Dried bread crumbs
1. Place onions , lemon juice , fish and chillies ( if using) and mix well with your fingers.
2. Add the mashed potaotes, lemon rind mayonise and seasonings. Taste to adjust.
3. Flour your work surface and make patties or cakes , the flour prevents the cakes from sticking. I like to make mine a little thinner. Leave in the fridge for about an hour or so .
4. Dip the fish cakes in egg , then into dried bread crumbs.
5. Pour oil into a frying pan, not too much oil just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Shallow fry the fish cakes till nice and golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
Serve with veges and some sauce like tomato , chilli or even tartar sauce.
Of course the big boy also has trouble eating his veges, so I had to butter him up a little to get him to eat his veges as well ;).