Thursday, March 18, 2010
Spagetti with Roast Chicken Sauce
I love cooking , but there are days when I have lazy cooking days, you know , just chop everything and chuck it inthe oven and forget about it. Somedays I am in the most energized to cook and will end up plating the food, restaurent style and impressing my hubby . There are days I dont want to cook at all and will be trying to convince hubby to out to eat.
So yesterday was one of those lazy cooking days. I wanted to roast chicken but didnt want to make a side so I ended up mixing jamie oliver's chicken cooked in milk with nigella's roast chicken with tagliateli.
First prepare chicken : I used 2 large whole legs of a chicken, instead of a whole chicken.
2 whole chicken legs
1 tsp chilli powder/ paprika or chilli flakes
1 small stick cinamon
1 bay leaf
5 cloves garlic
2 cups full cream milk
1 tbsp butter
Preheat oven to 250 degree celisius .
1. Pat your chicken legs dry with a kitchen towel and rub salt and chilli powder or what ever chilli you are using ( you can even avoid it ).
2. Heat your roasting try or a deep casserole pan with butter and a tiny bit of oil and once the butter melts add the chicken legs and brown them. Take off heat, and add garlic , lemon rind and cinamon, stuff a couple of gralic slices and lemon under the skin of the chicken for the extra flavor.
3. place inside the oven and then pour the milk into the pan and close the oven and roast. REduce the temperature down to 200 after about 30 minutes and baste the chicken now and then with the sauce , roast for about 45 minutes to 1 house till nice and tender. Remove , lift the chicken legs out and set side to cool , strain the liquid left into a sauce pan, mash the garlic in through the sieve to puree it into the sauce.
Now for the final dish:
You will neeed :
The shredded meat of your roast chicken
Extra lemon zest , about 1/2 tsp ( optional)
Something green , I used the green part of the spring onion although i think finely chopped flat leaf parsley will also go well.
Pasta, such as spagetti or like nigella's use tagliatelli or linguine
The sauce from the roast chicken above
1. Cook your pasta in boiling salted water till al dente'.Drain. Add the shredded chicken .
2. Place the reserved sauce from the roast chicken over a low heat and bring to a simmer, ( I would add a little lemon juice next time i make this) the lemon zest if using .
3. Pour the sauce into the pasta and toss well to combine and toss in the green spring onion or parsley for the final touch .
Serve immediately. You can make the chicken ahead and finish making the pasta dish just before serving.
Oh I have to tell something funny, and something to think about for you.I may not be the most environmental person but I hate the amount of plastic bags that keeps collecting in my kitchen cupboard as I dont throw them away.So I have started to get the reusable bags from the supermarkets I usually head to to avoid consuming too much plastic bags and they are alot as we usually do weekly shopping rather than daily, and they do come handy when buying in bulk , especially the tesco bags are very sturdy.
Recently I bought one from this supermarket here . I gave it to the cashier along with my usual groceries and what does she do ? She puts that bag in a plastic bag!!!. I went a little round eyed heheh, and she looks up quizzically so i just pointed at my groceries and then at the bag to indicate to put it in the reusable bag( i dont speak malay so i talk with my hands ). Then what does she do, put the groceries neatly in a PlASTIC bag and THEN into the reusable bag HAHAHAHAHA!