Cottage pie style potatoes


MAF suffers from atopic dermatitis or eczema, a kind of skin allergy which he has inherited from my asthmatic family. He suffered a lot of rashes and itching during the first 1 1/2 years of his life but now he is doing pretty well, the occasional bouts of itching come and go, and most of the time cause is unknown. The good thing I found in it is that he has a pretty healthy diet, I rarely give him sweets, sweets are occasional treats, and he rarely asks for them and is happy with the 2 sweets he gets every now and then after a meal. Although now we give him Oreo and popcorn from the popcorn man. :) He loves his veggies, which is one thing I actually consider as a blessing so I guess every cloud has a silver lining right.

As Malar says, will stop my blabbering and get on with the recipe because no one really reads the introduction although I know one 7-year-old who reads mine and points out her aunt's grammar and spelling mistakes.

I got this recipe from a children's cookbook by BBC.  It was originally a shepherd' pie but since I had beef sauce I am calling it cottage pie.

For 1 serving
1 large baked potato
1/2 cup of my meat sauce
GRated cheddar cheese ( depends on how much you want)

1. Scoop the potato, leaving a little of the flesh. Mash the flesh with a little butter and milk to make a nice creamy mash. season with salt and pepper.



2. Heat some oil in a wok or fryer and fry your potato skins till golden. drain well on kitchen paper or towels.

3. Heat up your meat sauce and reduce till thick, cool. Once cool spoon the meat into the potato shells.



4. Top with mashed potato and cheese. Place under the grill in the oven to melt the cheese.



Note: I know mine looks a little burnt I actually forgot that it was there hehehe got it a little burnt :D. Serve with some nice veges and tomato ketchup

Comments

  1. that looks seriously yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is new to me but really looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to use potatoes,quiet an interesting way to fry it and then bake it...Looks very nice and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fry the potato skins to make them crispy you can just stuff them without frying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting recipe..I would love to try it , next time I bake potatoes..Thanks Peanutts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice..my husband and I love mashed potato and meat.. and the baked potato too..so this will be interesting to have some mix up..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! It looks great in the potato shell! Have to try this!

    I've gotten the occasional eczema outbreaks, too, on my hand. Soaps and detergents cause mine. and stress! Glad your son is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea! I've never had something like this but I am sure I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks delicious what a cool idea to put it in the potato hope your having a great weekend, Peanuts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ..hopped in here from malar's blog n these potato pies look great for children..
    have you ever tried a ayurvedic remedy for this atopic allergic eczema your MAF has ??
    some dietary changes do make a difference to ..
    i am sure you must be trying something or the other , just a concern...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, yum... Stuffed potatoes, delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my posts, please leave a comment or two....