Monday, July 13, 2009
Pasta with prawns in spicy coconut sauce
Sorry for not writing during the week end, here week end is friday and saturday. Both boys , hubby and MAF were both in bed with flu .
Anyway, I love prawns and have even come to enjoy shelling them, some thing which i hated doing when I was first given the task of shelling them back in 1996 by my landlady in KL.
The key to making the perfect pasta is to make it just before serving, you can make the sauce earlier but then again it doest take much time to make it about 10 minutes or so and while you are making the sauce you can cook the pasta .
For 2 persons
200g fresh prawns, shelled and deveined ( you can leave the tail so that it keeps its shape)
1 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
Small piece ginger , minced or grated
Juice of 1 lime
1/3 cup coconut milk ( packed)
Oil( vegetable oil or olive oil)
About 150- 200 g spaghetti or linguine or angel hair pasta
Handful of coriander leaves , finely chopped
2 spring onions , finely chopped ( both white and green parts)
1. Clean and devein the prawns, place in a bowl or zip lock bag . Add chilli powder, cumin, pepper, garlic , ginger and salt . Set a side to marinate for about 1 hour in the fridge.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the prawn mixture along with the marinade, stir fry till they start to turn pink, add 1/3 cup water and stir it around . Stir in coconut milk , taste adjust seasoning, switch off .
3. Meanwhile heat water in a separate pan to cook pasta , cook pasta till al dente . Drain ,reserve a little of the pasta water about ¼ cup or so.
4. Put the spaghetti back the pan , mix in the prawn sauce , coriander leaves and spring onions.
5. Pour the reserved pasta cooking water in to the frying pan that you made the sauce in to clean it out and pour it into the pasta . Toss to combine