Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Mum's Potato Pie
My mum makes this lovely pie with potatoes and canned tuna and its great comfort food .
800 g potatoes, boiled and mashed
1-2 eggs slightly beaten
3 tablespoons oil plus extra for greasing
1 small can tuna ( single serving sizes , 180g tins) drained , flaked
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 green or red chillies finely sliced
Juice of 1 lime or ½ lemon
Hand ful of Chives ( optional, if you want to add some herbs)
Salt and pepper( generous pinch of pepper)
1. Place potaotes in a large bowl, add the beaten egg, and 3 tablespoons of oil, mix well Set aside.
2. In a seperate bowl add your onion slices , lime juice and salt. Using your fingers scrunch the onions till they go soft and release their juices.
3. Mix in flaked tuna, chilies, pepper and herbs if using. Mix well, adjust seasoning if you need to.
4. Grease a baking tray, about 15cm x 15 cm x 05 cm tray ( am not very good telling the sizes) , with oil. Rub a little oil in your hands and take half the potato mixture and pat it down the bottom of the try till it covers the hold bottom.
5. Then layer the fish mixture on top. And then finish with the remaining potato layer.
6. Bake in a PREHEATED OVEN AT 250 degrees celsius oven for 45 minutes to one hour till nice and brown.
7. Serve with green peas, a green bean salad or a green salad