Monday, June 29, 2009
Baked Tuna pasta
I love pasta!Its one of my comfort food and also its very easy to make. I always make sure my store cupboard has three forms of pasta, spagetti, a shaped pasta such as penne, pasta shells or fussili and couscous . Of course there has to be instant noodles and maybe sometimes you might find lasagne sheets :).
This recipe is a lot like mac and cheese, except you have curried can of tuna in it. Its a dish you can make ahead, but dont mix the sauce and pasta ,keep them seperate. What happens if you mix them and then store in the fridge till you bake is that the sauce gets soaked up in to the pasta and later when you bake it it ends up getting too dried up . So mix the sauce in just before you put it in the oven.
1cup pasta ( macaroni, small shell or spirals)
1 tin curry tuna
1/2 cup chedder cheese grated + 2 tbsps extra
1/2 lime juice
1/2 cup green peas( frozen or tinned)
2 tbsp butter/margerine
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp lonumirus ( thats a maldivian chilli sauce, made out of 2tsp chilli powder , 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic paste, juice of 1 lime and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper and salt)
250 ml milk
1 slice of bread
2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
1 tbsp chopped parsley
Place the bread in a grinder or food processor and pulse to make fresh crumbs. set a side
1. Cook pasta until almost done, but has bite to it . Drain and put in a large bowl.
2. Cook peas along with the pasta if using frozen. If tinned no need to cook. Add them into the same bowl as the pasta.
3. Add tuna flake it little , add salt ( a pinch would do) and lime juice, mix well
4. Make cheese sauce : Melt butter/margerine, switch off heat. Add flour and whisk it till you have a nice paste. Add curry powder and mix it in to the flour. PLace it back on the stove over a medium heat. Add water slowly, whisking all the time to prevent lumps from foaming. Let it boil and then simmer , mixing now and then to prevent lumps from foaming, till the sauce thickens a little, about 5 minutes.
Add lonumirus and cheese. taste and add salt if necessary and pepper.
5. Pour the sauce into the pasta mixture and mix well, pour in to a suitable oiled oven dish.
6 , make topping by mixing olive oil , the fresh breadcrumbs , parsley and chedder cheese to gether, sprinkle on top of the pasta and bake in a 190- 200 degree celsius oven for about 30 minutes till nice and golden on top.
Serve with a green salad